Friends, head over to the Autodesk App Store and give me an honest review please. If you do, send me your request code and your reviewer name for a free license. Any review, positive or negative, is valid for this offer.
As featured in 3D World – August 2011
(Self-installing .mzp file, just run this script via: “Maxscript->Run script”)
Note: The file when downloaded should be “Relink Bitmaps v2.##.mzp” (NOT ZIP, IExplorer makes it a Zip file)
INSTALLATION: In 3dsMax, goto MAXScript -> Run Script, and run the file you downloaded above “Relink Bitmaps v2.##.mzp“
This tool is available to the community for free, but I kindly request if you see the value in time this tool saves you, that you donate whatever you can to help me pay off student loans. Every donation helps immensely. I do however understand that we’re all in this mess somehow and I understand if you aren’t able to donate at this time. To donate simply click the “Donate!” button on the script. I am suggesting $10 for an individual, but whatever you can spare will insure the future development of this script and updates.
Tested thoroughly with (32-bit and 64-bit): Max 9-2017
- Added support for FStorm Render – Bitmaps/Lights/Proxies, thanks to Nikita Gushchin!
- Fixed the “$directory not recognized” error
- [NEW] Option to automatically search the Max scene directory
- CoronaBitmap / CoronaProxy / CoronaLight support added (this didn’t get added to 2.08 even though I meant it to).
- Changed the functionality of the read-only browse (because I didn’t like how I did it last verison)
- Fixed the stupid error with the “RemindMe=” bug that users experienced when they pressed “Remind Me in a week”
- Octane render is still impossible for me to support at the moment, they handled filenames strangely. Contact them if you want support added, my forum name on their forums is colinsenner.
- Corona Render Fully supported
- Browse buttons are Read-only share friendly
- Attempted to support Octane Render, but the way they are exposing their custom map types like Image_Texture are not in line with any other plugin I’ve seen, if you want Octane support, it’d be best to contact them on their forums or email directly to help me resolve the issue, they were unhelpful when I attempted to contact them to resolve this. My forum name on Octane forums is colinsenner.
- All 3dsmax supported Bitmap Texture types
- (new) Relinks Mental Ray Proxy files
- (new) Relinks VRay Proxies (.vrmesh)
- (new) Relinks VRayHDRI files
- (new) Relinks IES files (including VRayIES files)
- (new) Automatically checks for script updates and new versions
- 250% speed increase from previous versions
- Command-line mode available for automating repetative tasks (see documentation below)
- Configurable default user options saving button clicks and wasted time
Just a quick thank you to Christopher Grant at Scriptspot, and the users who have shared their time and ideas (and donations) to make this script better: brittnell, hongxu, fajar and others!
As always, thank you for everything and be well,
[FIXED version 2.10]
Q: $directory not recognized: errors
A: The problem is there’s a ‘$’ token in one of your paths. Windows allows a directory to contain a ‘$’ token like this: c:\3d\models\couch$\couch.max. The problem is max doesn’t allow this because it’s a reserved keyword. The quick fix is to open the Max Asset Tracking and remove all paths (“Strip Path”) for all directories with a ‘$’ in it. I’ll fix this next update.
Q: Every time I open 3dsmax a message saying “Relink bitmaps is now installed….”.
A: To fix your problem though: search your max root folder for “InstalledMessage.ms” and delete it. That should fix everything. This is because it wasn’t installed as an .mzp file. The script file should be named “Relink Bitmaps v#.#.mzp”. Some browsers rename .mzp to .zip (annoyingly). If you in max do Maxscript->RunScript and pick the .mzp file, it’ll install everywhere correctly.
To reset the configuration .ini file in the Listener window (Maxscript->MAXScript Listener) type and hit [enter]:
To reset the position of the Relink Bitmap’s dialog window (in case it gets stuck off screen) type:
If you want to run the function ‘sceneRelinkBitmaps’ from your script you just need to detect if two .mse files are where they should be, run the following first, then you can call sceneRelinkBitmaps without the user opening Relink Bitmaps
if doesFileExist ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\C_Lib.mse") and doesFileExist ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\Relink_Lib.mse") and doesFileExist ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\Relink Bitmaps.mse") then ( fileIn ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\C_Lib.mse") quiet:true fileIn ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\Relink_Lib.mse") quiet:true fileIn ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\Relink Bitmaps.mse") quiet:true ) else ( MessageBox "Relink Bitmaps files are not in the default installation path. Try reinstalling." )
Relink Bitmaps has the ability to run automatically via the command line, here is the syntax:
sceneRelinkBitmaps searchArr ignoreCase:true ignoreExtension:false recursive:true undoOn:true lowMemory:false allMaps:false
/* sceneRelinkBitmaps – Relinks bitmaps in the current scene
searchArr: an array of directories to search, ie. #(“C:/maps”,”D:/maps”)
ignoreCase: true or false
ignoreExtension: true or false
recursive: true of false
undoOn: true or false
lowMemory: true or false
allMaps: true or false
progress: progressBar link to update progress, will update the .value in this while it relinks */
If you’re having problems with the script run it and in the listener type:
and send me the output and what you did so I can track it down for you asap
New in Version 2.04
- Added an option to Relink All Bitmaps and not just missing ones. The checkbox “All Maps” should do the trick.
- Fixed a bug with the licensing system, if you have requested a license in the past and it wasn’t working, please email [email protected] your new request code (Generated by clicking the “Donate!” button). Old License files will continue to work, but they now have a new format
- Command Line support added for “All Maps” feature (check the FAQ at the bottom for syntax)
- The new version deletes your “Relink Bitmaps.ini” file because new features have been added to it, this is to prevent errors. Reconfigure manually.
- Fixed the icon not showing up properly after install (Thanks Artur)
New in Version 2.03
- Changed the script path to use the user’s local scripts path instead of “C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3dsMax 20##\”, this should eliminate problems with needing administrator rights to install the script.
- Added the option to ignore the file’s extension allowing you to relink .jpgs to .tifs with ease. Note: it will use whichever one it finds first.
- Corrected a bug with the “Find” button which would induce a crash if it was clicked with nothing in it.
New in Version 2.02
- Added a user requested option to delete all missing maps in a scene
- Fixed a bug with find a material producing an error